There has been so much talk about the Old Spice video ad campaign this year, that it is no surprise to see it in the top slot of the Ad Age Top 10 Viral Ads of 2010. The interactive campaign, which posted cheesy but amusing video responses from their brand ‘hunk’ to consumer questions, gained over 68 million views in total from its launch in July, which is truly spectacular! In fact, the overall figures from this list are amazing in comparison to last year, with a combined figure of over 320 million views in comparison to 196 million for the top 10 in 2009. Is this a sign of the times (how consumers are living their lives more online), or an indication that companies are finally beginning to think more strategically when looking at their Digital Marketing and Online Branding?
1. Old Spice – Responses, launched 12th July 2010, over 68 million views
2. Old Spice – Odor Blocker, launched 31st March 2010, almost 42 million views
3. Doritos – Crash the Super Bowl 2010, launched 5th January 2010, over 36.5 million views
4. Old Spice (again!) – The man your man could smell like, launched 4th Feb 2010, over 36 million views
5. Nike – Write the Future, launched 15th May 2010, over 35 million views
If you were to ask me which was my favourite out of this list, my honest answer would be that I am not too keen on any of the video’s! There are far more creative video’s out there which in my opinion should have made the top 10. That’s just my personal taste though…..from a campaign point of view, Old Spice are undoubtedly the best. They have taken online video away from simply putting your TV ads on You Tube, and developed something much more interactive and fit for purpose. A well deserved win I reckon!